jeudi 14 septembre 2017

Five Year Old Lenovo G570 - Time to give it up?

I've had this thing since about Feb 2012. I've had to replace the Hard Drive - about 18 months ago. I had to replace the keyboard because I'm ham-handed and beat it up so badly that a couple of keys fell off (and then it fell off the couch and damaged the hinge which eventually killed the keyboard contacts).

The R/W drive no longer reads CD-ROMS. Just got some pics from Marcello's school and had to install them on his computer instead of mine. (Current avatar is one.)

Now? Black screen of death, if that's a thing. It went to sleep when I went to pick Marcello up from school, and it often goes to serious sleep and doesn't start with just an enter or click, so I didn't think anything. Hit the power button. Nothing. Power light is on. Turned it off. Let it cool/rest. Turned it back on. Power light is on. Nothing else.

It's to be added that this has been a work horse. 0600 to 2300 hrs every day for almost 2000 days. It was also an indoor/outdoor computer. When we had the shop it was exposed constantly to construction dust.

Has it about "had the biscuit", e.g. is it time to stop throwing money at it? It was damned expensive in HK and would be more expensive here (computers aren't cheap in Thailand). I've thrown about two hundred bucks at it (3 diff repairs). Next one will probably cost another 60/75 bucks.

There's only a few hundred bucks value if I fix it and resell it, according to eBay, at least. Probably get more here, though.

Oh, and I can't afford a real laptop, now. I need to find something that's Win10 and web ready. I can use my son's computer to access ISF and email and stuff, but I'm lost to my AOE: Castle Siege community. They'll notice me gone sometime in the next day or so, but my kid's computer doesn't have Win10 and I can't get it for free for him because "Santa" seems to have loaded an illegal copy of of Win7 and those stuffy bastages at Microsoft don't want to give you a free Win10 upgrade if you've been ripping them off for a few years. (Picky, ain't they?)


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2wbQouX

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire