dimanche 17 septembre 2017

Student shot by campus police

***WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS LINKs TO VIDEOS THAT MAY BE DISTURBING***

Apparently the president of Georgia Tech's Pride Alliance, Scout Schultz, was shot by campus police after they approached them in a threatening manner, allegedly wielding a knife.

The police kept extorting them to drop the knife, while Schultz apparently kept shouting "Shoot me!" before one of the police officers did so.

I'm not sure of the context of this situation; allegedly there was a call to campus police about "a person with a gun and a knife", and when they arrived, Schultz refused to comply with the demands of police and was carrying a knife. What sparked this is unknown at the moment; Schultz was, from the first video, alone with no one else around. I could not see a knife, but the angle was poor and it could have been in their other hand, since it was shot from a significant distance. I could not view the second video, but in the still photo available in the article, there is an object on the ground to the right of the body that appears to be a weapon of some kind, although again the quality is poor.

I just think it's a damn shame that Schultz had to be shot in the first place, and my major question is, why did the officer not simply shoot to wound? Why go for the kill shot? I'm not questioning that the officer felt threatened; that much is clear from the one video I was able to view, with the way Schultz kept advancing toward them despite clear directions from the police. I'm not going to speculate on the reasons why Schultz felt the need to do this either; there simply isn't enough information available to make it worthwhile, but I have to admit, I am very much afraid that rabid extremists are going to latch on to this as their cause-du-jour without bothering to find out any of the background information. The Buzzfeed article linked above does seem to make it fairly clear that Schultz was threatening the officers for some reason, but I think there's a significant likelihood that we'll start seeing this spark more protests against the police, who from what I can tell, were more or less in the right in this case (although again, I do wonder why the kill shot was the initial response rather than wounding, especially if all Schultz had was a knife).


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2f4QKZf

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire