dimanche 15 octobre 2017

Culture war and USA politics

The world I experience every day is a secular one. I watch nerdy youtube videos about science or debunking religious claims. I read HuffingtonPost, Slate and various other secular type publications.

I happened to be driving somebody else's car and the radio was tuned to a holy roller station and then I happened on another one. It really struck me how large the gap is between people like me and the religious true believers. It is hard to imagine how these people would ever vote for somebody that isn't pandering to their beliefs.

Michelle Bachman says that Trump is now a true Christian that prays to God for help. That strikes me as an incredible lie or incredible gullibility on her part and yet I suspect there are millions of people that believe this. I have thought for a long time that people are largely born skeptical or not. If that is so the coalition of racists and religious fundamentalists that got Trump elected seems almost unassailable. The religious fundamentalists are being skillfully manipulated by cynical people and I don't see how that will change.

It is conceivable, that the changing US population demographics and more enthusiasm for voting by the younger folks might help. It looks like the legal challenges to gerrymandering might succeed. It is also possible that the secular economic conservatives will continue to leave the Republican Party as it becomes increasingly a fundamentalist driven organization.

Before that happens I hope the US hasn't killed millions of people because it is led by a psychopathic buffoon. There is a reasonable chance now that if Trump succeeds in starting disastrous trade wars, and dismantling the social safety net that hundreds of thousands of people will suffer. Racism will certainly continue to expand as his racist rhetoric continues to enable racists and racist ideas.

When I was a kid I wondered why something like Hitler couldn't happen in the US. I think we are getting a real education now about how that could happen here.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2ypWwz7

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire