vendredi 13 octobre 2017

Rooted my Android tablet... hilarity ensues. :D

Nothing tragic as I didn't have anything critical on it, but I've lost the entire two year setup and have a fresh factory build again. :p

It's a $70 Nextbook Ares8 from WallyWorld and like many other folks it had become so full and painfully slow I just had to do something. Most of the more useful operations are locked out of these things so I went ahead and found out about rooting it.
Plus... it's had a 64 gb SD card STUCK in the slot since week one... and most retail 5.0 Lolipop devices removed the ability to use SD storage. :rolleyes:


By about 3 AM I was pretty punchy, and not happy that backp ops couldn't "find the DATA partition" on the SD. Found out it needed the file type cycled from, in this case, EXT4 to FAT and back again.

Of course... this wipes the lookup tables, which is why I should have found a way to force a backup to cloud storage or something.
Yep... should have. :D

On the plus side... it's quick again, and I have SD space as well as less crap using the limited RAM.

And the PlayStore actually keeps a full list of all the apps I've grabbed from there in the "Library" tab of "My Games and Apps" (stunning how many little games and other crap I've run and deleted). So I've lost any game scores etc., but at least it's a list of what I'll want to reinstall.


Anyway... "rooting".
I don't code so I've little use for the bulk of the functionality. But the process went fairly smoothly, once I gave up trying to get it done with any of the standalone apps (KingRoot etc.) and went ahead and did it through the PC.
I'd never bothered to hook them together before.

And now I can ADB bridge and direct install from a browser page on the PC if I come across something there... actually a more pleasant experience than digging through the PlayStore. ;)


So... what can I break on it next? Suggestions? :D


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2xDrCzF

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire