jeudi 16 novembre 2017

Quantitative Forecasting Models Question - Homework Help

Greetings, wiser people!

I’m still trying to get that business degree completed. It is very slow progress between strangling time and financial constraints, but I’m plodding my way through. Hopefully, I will be done before I’m 40. Anyway, once or twice in the past I popped in here for a little help understanding confusing concepts. The Operations Management class I’m currently taking is expedited, and thus only included three class meetings. The rest is to be completed online, and largely independently.

Today, I am trawling through qualitative and quantitative forecasting models. I’ve got all the math down-pat, but some of the conceptual material is losing me. Right now, I’m realizing the gaps in my understanding, because I find myself unable to answer the following question intelligently:

Why are forecasting devices such as moving averages, weighted moving averages, and exponential smoothing not well-suited for data series that have TRENDS?

Would anyone care to help point me in the right direction so this clicks? Being able to do the math like a robot will not be of any help in a real-world setting if I don’t grasp the concepts around it. My textbook may as well be written in Greek when it comes to explaining CONCEPTS. And I won’t have another in-class meeting before the end of the semester.

I deeply appreciate any discussion.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2ATCA7h

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire