mercredi 15 novembre 2017

Stupid things universities do

The cost of university has gone up a lot faster than inflation, but its value is going down at the same time.

At my university, I had to pay hundreds of dollars every semester for textbooks. I remember one linear algebra textbook which cost $200 dollars. As I understand it, linear algebra is a subject which has not changed for something like 200 years, so I should have been able to buy an old textbook on ebay for $1. The way they force you to buy the new textbooks is that they assign homework problems from them. I went to school in Stuttgart for 1 year, and I paid 2 Euros for the paper and ink for my thermodynamics text. I watched them print it right in front of me.

Another difference between Germany and the USA: The German students were threatening to riot because the government wanted to raise tuition to 500 Euros per semester. I don't think Americans would riot even if the university demanded an organ donation every year.

As I've already said, I went on an exchange trip while at university. It was kind of a phony exchange trip, because my university took my money and basically did nothing with it. I had to figure out which classes to take on my own, and then they refused to transfer any credits from any classes. They said that they weren't compatible. I had to take essentially the same classes all over again next year. I think they just wanted to take more money from me. Perhaps that is for the best though, because I found physics in the German language to be rather difficult, and I got bad grades.

And then they lie and tell you that a university degree and good grades will land you a job.

And I had to take these tests about how I'm not supposed to kill myself with alcohol and how I'm not supposed to rape other students. Gee, that's wonderful. I'm so glad I learned that, rather than how to get a job.

I was lucky because I have wealthy parents and they paid for my education. Other students are stuck with debts forever that they can't pay. It's illegal to file for bankruptcy on student debt. So these kids take out these huge loans when they're 18, enticed with the lie that they'll make good money, and then go work at McDonald's after they graduate and remain debt slaves until they die.

Another peeve I had was that the schools continue to pretend that girls are a minority at college. They make up 2/3 of the graduates. I would probably have gotten to go to university for free with my major if I had a vagina, but I have a penis, so my parents had to pay tens of thousands of dollars.

If I wanted, I could probably find more things to complain about, but I'll end it there.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2AKYCrZ

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire