mardi 9 janvier 2018

Kill-A-Watt Measuring Device

I recently purchased a Kill-A-Watt electricity measuring device but when I read the directions, I'm very confused and I'm hoping someone could simply explain what they all mean so I can keep track of it all in a coherent manner.

It measures: volts, current, watts, frequency, power factor, and VA (they call "the apparent power" with the formula 'VA=Vrms Arms' whatever that means).

I had some basic instruction with electricity way back in high school but it's safe to say that I don't remember enough to help me with this thing.

For those who may not know what it does, it measures electricity usage for a single device at a time in order to gain understanding of what devices in your household use the most electricity and then you can make decisions of how to reduce your overall electricity bill.

That's my goal — to see how much electricity is used by the various devices I have plugged in around the house. I know that many devices such as DVRs use a trickle of electricity all the time unless actually unplugged or shut off using a master breaker-type switch and I might be willing to do that if there are devices which are rarely used but still suck up electricity like there's no tomorrow.

What are the various things listed above meant to measure? I think all I'm really wanting at this point is the KWH/Hour toggle function, but I don't know for sure.

I want to know over the course of X hours, device D uses P amount of electricity so that I can extrapolate to a standard 24 hour day and then add up all the measured devices.

I can clarify anything here that may be confusing or incomplete.

TIA


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2DddLEO

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire