lundi 8 janvier 2018

The demarcation problem in science

If you don't like philosophy, I accept that, but then this post is not for you. So I have given you fair warning and if you read on, that it your problem and not mine. My problem is how I answer you if you chose to post anyway.

What is knowledge in practice?
Well, I know that...
And I know how to...

So here is an example of falsification in a non-scientific sense.
Someone: Everything is objective.
Me: No!

Now I know that I can answer yes, no and otherwise so and I know how to use subjectivity in practice. I use subjectivity as something I do as me.
And I know the drill.
Someone: So you, Tommy, believe that you are everything.
Me: No, nor do I believe that I am the most important thing in the world. But I do know, that in some cases I am the most important thing in the world to me. That is subjective and I know that and I know how to do that.

That is it! Reduce away the other parts of what makes science science and you get that science as a necessary, but not sufficient condition has objectivity. The problem is that you can't use objectivity all the time.

The rest is in practice as follows:
Something: I like science and I don't like philosophy, religion, woo, CT and so on.
Me: That is subjective. :)


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2AExhas

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire