lundi 5 février 2018

Are too many people getting university degrees?

I ask because of this;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42923529

"Many graduates receive "paltry returns" for their degrees despite racking up £50,000 in debt, says the chairman of the Education Select Committee.
Robert Halfon will say in a speech on Monday, that between a fifth and a third of graduates take non-graduate jobs, and that any extra returns for having a degree "vary wildly".
He will also suggest that too many people are studying academic degrees.
University leaders maintain that a degree remains an excellent investment."

Who is correct? The minister claiming too many people are getting degrees, or the universities?

I have a degree and went into a non-degree job, the police. But, I do not think I wasted my degree by doing that. There were certain roles within my job that I excelled at and that was because I had a degree and the skills which come with having a degree. My job also paid well, entry was at what is the average wage and by the time I retired I was in the 78th percentile of wage earners in the UK.

So that between a fifth and a third of graduates take a non-degree job (as in you do not need a degree to get the job) is not necessarily the issue.

There may be a point that there is an excess of graduates, some of whom would have been better off going by the college route and getting far less expensive qualifications, such as Higher National Diplomas before going into work.

I think there is also an issue with some so called degree courses being a degree in name only and the standard of work and learning is not great.

But, overall I think society does better with a better educated workforce, even if that means too many people with degrees.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2E431s5

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire