mardi 13 février 2018

Buying or building a PC in 2018

Hi,

I'm learning video editing and my laptop is driving me nuts.

So, I'm going to need some serious equipment, I'm not very technical, did my research and here are my thoughts. I'd like to know if the techies here concur.

Laptop vs Desktop
Although there are some seriously powerful 'Gaming' laptops on the market, I'm leaning towards a desktop PC. Here's why.
  • The components in a laptop are less powerful than in a desktop.
  • laptops heat up faster, decreasing performance.
  • laptops are more expensive
  • I can change components on a desktop, giving the machine a much longer life. (I reckon a very fast machine could last me 10 years)

Build vs Buy
I was warming to the idea of building my first PC (with my 10-year-old daughter, who's a nerd), but then I found that buying some components separately has become very expensive due to bitcoin miners buying all the powerful graphics cards they can get their hands on.

Companies that build PC's are apparently less affected by this as they buy in Bulk (is this correct?).

So, I've sort of abandoned that plan and am now looking to buy a 'Gaming' PC.

I've looked at Apple, but a PC looks like a better deal to me with much more bang for the buck. (opinions?)

I was hoping to pull this off for about € 1000, but this is starting to look less realistic the more I look into it, so €1500 or €2000 it is.

I've configured my dream PC and it came out €4000, so that is way over the top.

My wishlist looks like this now:
CPU: Ryzen 7 (apparently better at rendering video than the i7)
RAM: 16 Gig
GPU: undecided
Memory: SSD (I wanted PCIe but the ones I've seen are close to €1000 in themselves, so it's going to be a small SSD plus an HDD)
Plenty of cooling

Am I overdoing it?
Can I buy such a system of the shelf, what would be a reliable brand?
Any input welcome:)


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2EkNbJv

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire