mercredi 14 mars 2018

Is the "American Dream" dead...

or have the goalposts just moved. I always hear bits and pieces about it from people I consider pretty knowledgeable.

I hear that Reagan killed it, which I hear a lot from liberals. That is why today it's harder for poor people to get to the top than it was decades ago when we had actual progressive presidents. But others say today the middle class just owns a lot more stuff per household, stuff that in the 50s and 60s we couldn't have had in large quantities, like computers and boats, more than one car per family, etc. Is it a matter of the different skills you need for jobs today, cause back then it appears to have been manufacturing heavy.

I'm attracted to the progressive vision of liberals like Bernie Sanders. But I know populism doesn't really like nuance; conspiracy theorists, Ron Paul bots, etc. and there may be a bigger picture here.

I'd like to hear from people in this forum who are knowledgeable.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2p9m5yK

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire