mercredi 14 mars 2018

What is it with (some) U.S. American male voices?

I’ve been wondering about something, but I’m not sure if the question belongs in Medicine or Social Issues, but my guess is that it has more to do with nurture than nature, so here goes:

I’ve noticed that some male TV hosts in the USA have a very particular kind of voice that I’ve never heard on Danish (or Scandinavian) TV, and I’m not really sure why. I’m also not sure if it’s something that only or primarily occurs in TV hosts or if this is something that can also be found in ordinary people in the USA. (I’ve also never met anybody with that kind of voice in Denmark.)
I’m talking about the voice of e.g. Alex Jones:

[yt]WyGq6cjcc3Q[/yt]

- but I’m not really partisan about this, so let me mention a guy like Penn Jillette, too, even though he doesn't seem to be as consistent in this respect as A.J.

It’s not really a question of pitch. I have a pretty deep voice myself, but it doesn't sound anywhere near that of Alex Jones or Penn Jillette, and when occasionally it does begin to sound a little like that, I know that it’s time to spend a couple of days in bed to rest and recuperate from the sore throat. It also tends to hurt, which makes the decision so much easier to make, but in the case of those guys, it doesn’t seem to bother them at all.

I’ve tried Google to find an answer, but I only came up with articles like this:

Deep male voices evolved to intimidate men, not attract women (Guardian, Apr. 27, 2016)
Do people of different races have different voices? (io9.gicmodo, Jul. 23, 2012)

and they don’t really address my question.

So what (and why) is this?
Is it biological in nature or is it a kind of affectation?
Do they deliberately try to sound like this, or is it something that they can’t help doing?


ETA: It occurred to me that some Japanese male voices also sound a little like that, but in their case it sounds a little more 'forced', as if they really have to make an effort to make it sound like that, but I'm not really sure if that's actually the case.

[yt]3IKGRL0N-RU[/yt]


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2Ipqare

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire